Saturday, February 14, 2009

Feeling a lot better


So I have my internet and phone up and running which makes me a lot happier because now I have communication to home! :)
Also, I have heard that I have one of the best townhouses to live in because the people are really friendly and outgoing and everyone likes them. Hopefully I will find out and have some friends when they finally get here! One of my roommates, Jeremy, is here and he is from Malaysia. There is another girl who hasnt gotten here yet from Asia somewhere and then a guy and a girl from the UK. I feel a lot better that I know my roommates are going to be fun.
Today I went to the grocery store and realized that a lot of things are very different...different foods that they sell, different brands, a lot of things I want but they dont have...this is going to be interesting. I left with some spaghetti sauce, noodles, bread, iced coffee (which is delicious), and some cheese.
Yesterday Jackie and I went to the beach. AMAZING. It is beautiful and we didnt want to leave. We may be there everyday if we can...and the tram only cost $4 round trip so that's nice. We also went out to a club that the girl at the front desk said to go to. Not an amazing choice because we got there early and there was no one. But the manager ended up buying us drinks and talking to us about America. Needless to say, we left a bit early (1am) and thats when the party supposedly starts. But people are REALLY nice here. Seriously...everyone says hi and I dont think Ive met a rude person yet. :) Oh, and also, EVERYONE asks about who we voted for for president. They all love Obama and it's strange when thats one of the first questions youre asked.

I also realized it may be harder than I thought to find a Church. There are a lot of United something Churches but I am not sure what that means. I think I may have found some Baptist Churches I may check out though. Pray that I feel comfortable and welcomed at one of them. :)

Things that are going to take some getting used to..
- the accents are sometimes hard to understand
- it is a LOT more diverse around here...which i love though
- the traffic flow going the opposite way
- not being able to figure out the time here or at home


(this is a picture of the beach i was on... :) )

1 comment:

  1. Everything takes a little time Aarika. Relax and enjoy. Love Gramma Sumner

    ReplyDelete