Thursday, April 16, 2009

3 Day Road trip

Today I just got back from a roadtrip with two of my wonderful friends here Eli and Maggie. We rented a car (yes, I drove!) and went down to Mt. Gambier and places along the way which is south-east of where I am. The car we rented was so cute and we named her Rosie because she was red. :) We had a lot of fun looking at caves, lakes, wineries, and random stops along the way. Our adventure started early on Tuesday morning when we picked up the car and grabbed a lot of snacks and random food to bring with. We drove to Robe and had lunch and then kept driving towards Mt. Gambier. We were trying to look for some sand dunes in between the two towns but couldnt drive up to any of them with our little car so we ended up running into this crazy lake that had a ton of wet clay/sand that looked like the earth was cracking and spreading apart. When you stepped on it it felt like the mud stuff they put on you to exfoliate your skin and it sank a bit. We had a lot of fun wiping it all off afterwards even if it was crazy fun to run on for awhile. :) Then he first night we stayed in this place called the Old Jail which was a jail until 1995 but then turned into a hostel. We stayed in an old cell!!! It was a crazy feeling knowing it was once a place where prisoners were and that we were sleeping in the same rooms as they did!

During the second day we drove over to the lake in Mt Gambier but it was misty out and kind of chilly. We decided to change our plans and take a drive up to the Grampians which is a National Park. It was amazing! We went on some nice walks to see waterfalls and beautiful views. We then headed towards Naracoorte where we were going to see caves the next morning. We stayed in a cute little cabin that was just out of Naracoorte that was like a lodge hostel. That night Eli and Maggie introduced me to having a baked potato with baked beans on top (which was really good) and also had me try the cheap Australian wine called Goon that everyone drinks around here. I also tried Vegemite the morning before which I made a face to and washed it down with tea it was so gross.

The third day we woke up really early again and went to some caves in Naracoorte. They were really cool and they passed around a dead bat for us to take a look at. Strangely enough I thought he was really cute. We didnt get to see the bats up close though because they said the caves are filled with too much bat poop and stuff so we would sink. haha.... Then we started driving back to Adelaide where we stopped at this nice winery along the way. There are a lot of red wine vineyards during the drive and it was nice to see an Australian one. The wine was delicious and they said that about 90% or so of it is exported, a lot to the U.S. I will have to find it when I get home. :)

It was a great trip and I am really excited to go to Cairns next week and see the Great Barrier Reef. As for now I am giong to be just relaxing and getting some things done the next 3 days before I go since there are not many people around seeing that everyone is on trips. :)
I will have to write another time to tell about my time with Luke being here and going to Kangaroo Island. I am quite tired....but I can tell you it was amazing and I loved every minute of it! If you have facebook he posted a ton of pictures on it so you can see. I will post some more pictures soon. :D

LOVE YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!! xoxoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment